Friends, Family, And Super Heroes
As soon as the wheels touched down in Atlanta tears weld up in my eyes - tears out of pure joy, not frustration which filled my eyes just days earlier. Cell phone in hand, I run off the plane to the immigration line. I was so excited when the boarder guard stamped my passport and said “Welcome home.” I nearly reached over the counter and kissed him. Riding the escalator through the airport I was having one of those “do I go left or right” moments. It was so weird yet so comforting to be somewhere that order and conformity didn’t seem to matter. The next few days were sheer bliss… I was back in Atlanta, seeing and talking with friends, and my entire family was there too! The visit was fabulous, just too short. Reality hit hard when Sunday morning rolled around and I was standing outside of Hartsfield debating whether or not I should go in. The last time I stood here, I was filled with excitement of the possibilities that lie ahead. This time… well it was different.
Armed with words of wisdom, encouragement, love, and a new pair of Gucci’s, I reluctantly boarded the flight back to Tokyo. I think Claire and Monica were a bit relieved when I let them know that yes, indeed I was back in Tokyo.
We had a big week ahead of us and I decided it was in the project’s best interest to forge on. That and the fact we were going on vacation on Friday and my ticket was from Tokyo. All the “big wigs” were in town this week for a huge meeting which meant lots of team dinners and nights on the town. Tuesday night it was just that… after a lively dinner at our new favorite sushi restaurant Rainbow Roll we headed to karaoke. I have to admit the karaoke place was a bit scary (skulls all over the place and dark hallways) but once we got into our private room equipped with disco ball, multiple cordless microphones, and a phone in which you placed drink orders I was sold. Key performances included Baby Got Back by Heidi, West Virginia by Brooks, Yesterday by Dave, Dancing Girl by Monica, and Oops I Did It Again by yours truly. Claire provided some strong back up but wasn’t feeling up to really bringing down the house. Several hours later we emerged onto the streets of Roppongi proud of our karaoke prowess. Needless to say the next morning called for McDonald’s breakfast and some strong coffee (add in a little Advil and we were good to go).
Fortunately the next few days were quite productive and the meeting went off without a hitch. At precisely 12:30pm on Friday afternoon Monica, Claire, and I were vacation bound - Shanghai, Bali HERE WE COME!
3 Comments:
Miss Julie, Miss Julie - I'm so sorry that you have been having such a tough time. I know what you mean about sobbing in your room - when I first started tavelling to the Orient about 30 years ago, I travelled alone and often ended up so tired and frustrated in a terrible room with BIG bugs after a terrible weird dinner, that I would think was "All I'm trying to do is earn a living and this is NOT what I signed up for". I can't imagine how stressful it must be for you since you have to "Sell" your recommendations to clients. All I can say is that you will be such a strong person when this is over (and it WILL be over) - nothing will seem as difficult as this again. I'm glad you're on vacation and do hope you have a good time. Did you receive my letter? All the best, Miss Jule.
Karen Spencer
OMG, love the Super Heroes reference! Hang in there...I am proud of you for turning over a new rock and kicking butt!
You're on the home stretch now, sista! The brightest side to this all is that we've discovered a hidden talent of yours - WRITING! You are hysterical! ellen
Post a Comment
<< Home