Julie in Japan

Beginning in June 2006 I will be living and working in Tokyo for approximately 5 months. Check out my experiences here.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Mail Call

You can only imagine how exciting it is to get mail here! At home I get (the ever present) wedding/shower invitation however here I'm lucky if I get something I can actually understand let alone have an interest in.

Remember at summer camp when the mail would come and everyone would crowd around to see if they were lucky enough to get something? Well, that's kind of what it is like at the KSA office when the Fed-Ex man arrives. Ok, I do have to admit I never went to summer camp (unless you consider Camp Sandy Cove which doesn't really count because the camp counselors were Mom and Aunt Ann and campers included my cousins however the arts and crafts did constitute "true summer camp activities") but I think you know what I mean.

I had yet to be on the receiving end of the mail call until a week or so ago when I received not 1 but 2 packages!!! Plus one package for both Monica and me!

Package 1: from Ellen, including important mail I had received (beautiful wedding invite Freshman!), candles, and the most treasured items: PEOPLE MAGAZINES! (These are about $10 here so it is really hard to justify making the purchase just to catch up on celebrity gossip. However due to a very rough day last week I did bit the bullet and purchased Us for $8 just to feel connected to the states not via a computer!)


Package 2: from Raquel (Atlanta AA), a key item for the upcoming trip to Hong Kong - replacement shoes (see Guest Blogger Monica - Top Losses). You can bet that I will be extra careful not to lose one of these again. However if I do lose one I hope it's the left one otherwise I will have 2 left shoes - ugh!

Package 3: from Susan Lin, more People magazines, other tabloids, and Vogue. Monica nearly passed out at the sight of an English version of Vogue. Many thanks Susan!

Claire also benefited from the magazines (which are banded in China so she was super excited)
because Monica and I are nice enough to share - after we were done reading them of course :)

This is a picture of me at National grocery store in Roppongi but I thought it fit quite well with this blog.

Just in case any blog readers out there would like to make a contribution to my happiness while thousands of miles from my friends and family where I don't speak or read the language ...

Julie Donaldson
Kurt Salmon Associates
Akasaka Nakagawa Building
3-11-3 Akasaka
Minato-ku Tokyo Japan 1070052

1 Comments:

At 2:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! I just love reading these! And, the shout-out to Camp Sandy Cove is awesome! Remember the hand-painted t-shirts we made and the paint irritated everyone's skin so everyone had a rash??!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home