Justified... Tokyo Delivers
We knew it was going to be a good concert week not only because we had tickets to Coldplay's show but also because we spent Sunday reading our new "bible" Metropolis Japan's #1 English Magazine at our favorite brunch spot Good Honest Grub. Performing this week were BlackEyed Peas, Cold Play, and Justin Timberlake.
Tuesday, July 18th - It was one of those days that started off so wrong (slept through the alarm, realized my allergies were back, put too much water in my oatmeal, dropped subway pass in a puddle - you get the idea) and lucky for me and Monica ended up so right!
Upon arrival to work (read 45 min. subway ride, schlepping computer bag in the rain and trying to balance umbrella wearing a skirt because it is so freaking hot here pants are rarely an option) at my client and waiting a solid 15 min for the elevator to the not so spectacular and smelling of cigarette smoke 20th floor I opened my laptop and began to what I knew was going to be a truly dreadful day. The only glimmer of hope was that the Coldplay concert was a mere 10 hours away. I won't bore you with the details of the day because it was like so many others I have had here - filled with miscommunication, strange realizations, and unanswered questions.
Our plan was simple leave work at 6pm, take 2 trains and arrive at the concert at 7pm... at 6:20pm after a mini-melt down, Monica snapped me out of my funk and demanded we leave work behind and head to the concert. We had a good hunch Gwyneth would be there (call it woman's intuition). After 1 wrong train ride and a desperate need for nourishment, we arrived at the concert at 8:10pm only to learn that ONLY IN JAPAN does a concert actually start on time! So we enjoyed the remaining 40 min of a truly spectacular show - the band was amazing, Chris Martin is crazy and has tons of energy and the venue, Nippon Budakon similar to a high school auditorium, was intimate and had great sound. After the concert we opted for people watching rather than fighting the crowds back to the subway since it was only 9pm. For several minutes we stood on the curb and watched as hundreds of concert goers moved along the sidewalks with their "government issued" umbrellas. Seriously, everyone has the same clear, plastic, white handled umbrellas they have to be given as a right of passage. Needing a pick me up (from the rain, work, and arriving late to the concert) and preferably a bar we lied out options for possible celebrity sightings - Park Hyatt, Four Seasons, or Grand Hyatt. We decided on the Park Hyatt for 3 reasons:
1. We knew the bar we pretty cool from our restaurant visit
2. We were already on that subway line
3. We didn't know how to get to the other 2 hotels
We sauntered up to the bar (which is really a misnomer because even the bar area has hostesses, hosts, and serves) on the 53rd floor and were informed there would be a 2000 yen cover charge (about $20). Without giving it a second thought, both Monica and I said "Ok. We'd like a table for 2." The host led us to a table 1 row away from the windows, as we were about to sit down, I noticed a VERY familiar face sitting at the table next to the windows. Monica sat facing the bar and I sat facing the windows. At this point my heart started racing and I looked over at Monica who was so calm and collected I assumed she had NO idea who was sitting 2 arm lengths away from us. I said to her, "Ok, promise you won't flip out when I tell you who is here?" Monica was now very excited and started looking around the bar. I said "Focus on me, focus on me. Now I don't want you to make any sudden movements or scream, but JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE is sitting at the table to your right."
He looked just like he does in People magazine and was wearing jeans and a gray sweatshirt with a hood. His posse included his mother, brother, and 3 brunette females (2 of which were very attractive yet dressed very casual, the third was not so attractive). Cameron was no one in site. The posse was eating and drink a variety of things however Justin was drinking tea - most likely in preparation for Thursday's show. After 2.5 hours of sitting at the table next to him and a few moments of eye contact, I mustered up the courage, as we were leaving, to go up and talk to him. Here's how the conversation (yes, full fledge conversation!) went down:
Julie: I don't mean to interrupt your evening, it really looks like you all are enjoying yourselves but I wanted to say I'm a big fan.
Justin: Thanks, thanks a lot.
Julie: It is really nice to see westerners here and being to have a conversation in English.
Justin, Justin's Mom, Female 1: Yeah, we know what you mean.
Justin: How long have you been here?
Julie: 9 weeks.
Justin: What are you doing here?
Julie: I'm working here until October. My friend and I saw Cold Play tonight - it was a great show.
Justin: Cool, we're going to see them tomorrow night
Julie: That's great!
Justin: Where are you from?
Julie: Atlanta. Well, I better be going.
Justin: I didn't catch your name. (extending right hand)
Julie: It's Julie (extending right hand)
Justin: I'm Justin (shaking hands with Julie) so, Cameron's not here tonight, care to pull up a seat? (Just kidding he didn't say anything about Cameron or ask me to sit down but we did shake hands)
Julie: Nice to meet you. Have a good night
Justin: Bye
I was able to remain calm and gracefully round the corner to the elevators where Monica was anxiously waiting my report. As soon as she asked what happened, I started jumping up and down and fully fell on the floor due to excitement - I JUST HAD A CONVERSATION WITH JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE!! I shared the details of the convo and we hailed a taxi home. On the way I called Ellen (who put me on speaker with her office) and relayed the scene.
Needless to say Monica and I are going back to see Coldplay tonight and may even go to see Justin in concert on Thursday night. While the past few weeks of work and weather have been less than enjoyable, seeing, meeting, and chatting with Justin made it all worthwhile!
2 Comments:
oh. my. god. i have no words. of course you see him in tokyo instead of st. louis! miss you tons!
Hello! Hello! Hope you are OK. I bet you are super busy but haven't seen any Blog updates since July 19. (Today is August 16) See - now that I know how to blog, I'll start to be a pest....
Karen Spencer
Post a Comment
<< Home