Julie in Japan

Beginning in June 2006 I will be living and working in Tokyo for approximately 5 months. Check out my experiences here.

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Flight from Atlanta to Tokyo

For those of you who know my tendencies of arriving to the airport just in time for my flight will be happy to know that I arrived a whooping 2 hours and 15 minutes prior to my flight to Tokyo. I checked my bags (large bag weighed in at 89 lbs!) and headed to the Business Elite Lounge.

Once on the plane I realized that flying business class is the way to go!! I kicked off the trip with a mimosa and placed my order for what I wanted for my meal. Then I put on my noise reduction headset (thanks family!) - another must for traveling - wrapped up in my blanket and was in a peaceful sleep by the time we were flying over Iowa.

Upon arriving in Tokyo, I cleared customs with ease and picked up my luggage. Well, I really didn't pick it up, it was more of a heave ho onto cart. Then I bought my ticket for the bus to Tokyo. I was parched at this point and happy to find Coca Cola vending machines all around the airport. I put in my newly acquired Japanese Yen and made a selection of what I thought was water... however upon tasting I realized I had chosen some kind of Sprite drink. Round 2: made another selection of a clear liquid in a bottle which turned out to water! Two tries - not bad.

I met my apartment complex representative at the TCAT station and as the kind men were unloading my luggage her face went from a smile to a "what in the world did this woman bring" type look. We tried to fit my luggage in the first taxi but were unsuccessful - this was my first realization that things really are small here! The second taxi, bascially a mini van, was able to take the luggage - again two tries - not bad.

4 Comments:

At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Konnichiwa Julie-san!
Have you seen the beer vending machines yet? (My personal favorite - Asahi!) The boys recommend the melon Faygo - their favorite on our trip there. We haven't seen it in the US. Looking forward to reading about your adventures.
Love,
Tricia

 
At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops - I've been corrected by Ian and Grant - it's melon FANTA. :-)

 
At 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, Melon Fanta. Was it good? Thanks for sharing your experience with the rest of us! Can't wait til the "rest of the story" unfolds!! Love, Linda

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Julie,
It is great fun reading all about your adventures. My 1st trip to Japan was about 25 years ago and I remember "green and brown" breakfasts (I had no idea what I was eating but had to be polite as a Governement rep was with me)so I empathize with the breakfast dilemna. It soudns like the Western washrooms have improved - they used to be a hole in the ceramic floor (led to great contortions with pantyhose) Take care of yourself. Best wishes from Karen Spencer (This is my 1st time "blogging" so I hope I've done this right.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home